Saturday, January 31, 2015

Awesome day Autism

So Doodle was not the best behaved today but that's every day. Don't put Mardi Gras beads in your mouth, don't play in the dirt, don't tear up your slide, leave the dog alone, don't put dirt on the trampoline, get back here and so on. That's everyday for me but it's not really bad. Her substitute para educator told me on Friday that Doodle was really bad at school. I think she just didn't know how to handle a special child like Doodle. She has more energy then the energizer bunny. Everyone that knows her knows that.

You have to be really strict with her. She's a fun loving child and so funny to be around. Tonight, we went to a new yogurt shop. Doodle was a little perplexed over this shop. It wasn't her normal place that she loves with all her heart. By the time that she finished she was happy and content. She danced in her seat which gave everyone at the table a good laugh, including myself.

I love that child she is too funny. And depending on the level of autism that your child is on. Language can be easy for them to mimic. Case in point. Doodle loves and I mean loves watching youtube video. Lately she's been watching Japanese video and has learned at least one video by heart. After we returned home from the the new yogurt shop she began speaking word for word this commercial. Mimicking is how babies learn to speak so it's no surprise that she would start this. So since she has an ear for picking up a new language maybe it's time to start teaching her Japanese.

Now I will admit that I don't know Japanese but I'm willing to get some things for her to learn the language. I still want her to know Greek. That's my favorite foreign language. Tried to teach the step kids for years how to speak greek but they weren't having it. The only way that I could get around that was naming my dog a Greek word. Yasas, is Greek for hello. So at least they all learned a greeting.

I have gotten so much done today but for some reason I feel like I have done nothing. I don't know why that is. Considering that for two days I was down with the flu and wasn't able to barely do anything. Thank The Lord for essential oils. I would still be down. Doodle's para was still out sick from the flu on Friday. A whole weeks worth of missed work and having to be miserable. That's got to suck. I only had to deal with 2 days of misery. And luckily for me Doodle did not catch it.

And I did get some OT work on her today too. Working on teaching her how to use chop sticks. She needs to work on those fine motor skills and chop sticks and cupcakes work great! You can also use the chop sticks to eat regular food too. She's getting the hang of it, which is pretty awesome.

And it's at this point I think I might push too much. But we've had several years where she couldn't be taught anything. I remember speaking with her pediatrician about it. She said that Doodle was the only child with autism that she had that has so much therapy and doesn't make any progress. That's when I knew something needed to change. I couldn't live with her basically being a toddler for the rest of her life. She was going to be pushed whether she wanted to or not. Now she's a very verbal child. Her speech is up there with first grader but she's getting there. Her reading is about the same grade level but I know it will start to pick up. I just have to work a little harder.

And on that note I've got things to do and places to see. Have a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment