Monday, May 7, 2018

Cheating at Parenting Autism

Look, parenting a child with disabilities is not the easiest thing in the world. Add being a single parent to the mix and you're ready to rip your hair out. So when it comes to parenting sometimes you have to take sort cuts to give your kid the best part of you.

And yes, when I'm at work it's always in the back of my head, my patience is only reserved for my daughter and no one else. Working retail is not for everyone. Heck adulting is hard! Adulting with a special needs child is like riding on the outside of a rocket without a seat belt to the moon. So to all those teens who are looking to having a life and running away from childhood as fast as they can. You're welcome, the autism numbers are rising. Let's hope you don't end up in the fetal position in the corner sucking on your thumb, cause this life is not for the weak.

So Friday was my day off before I went into the Grind of my weekend. I do not have weekends off ever! I work and when I say I work I mean I grind hard and it starts after 5 on Friday. Working until sometimes 1 or 2 am. Go to bed, get up at 7 am, work some more, get ready to go into work. Grind out those numbers and head home after 2 hours and back at my regular weekend work. Again, work until 1 or 2 in the morning, bed, get up early and start again to get my weekend work done before Monday.

Sometimes you have to keep to the schedule (routine) as much as you can and anything will cause the routine to be thrown out of wack. Friday night I baked chicken but wasn't in the mood for cooking anything else. On to the deli section of Publix. You can get sides for your meals or full meals, ready to eat from the deli section of Publix. And it's doesn't cost a lot to get sides for meals. 

Even though this is one of those, ran to the store it's not on our schedule it's a perfect learning opportunity. Let your ASD kids pick out what they want for their sides. During the summer I will be going through and creating picture schedules that you can use for easy communication to help your kids learn. Doodle is past this part in her life. But for snacks we are still in that mode. Staying organized with your time saves you so much time and it's an easy "cheat" at parenting.

For right now my time is a mixture of practicing for classes, teaching my classes, finishing up paintings and working on the magazine template. Cause I have to have a better system for the magazine if I want to start that up again. I also have to worry about making sure that I am ready for the next Open House when it comes around. And on that note...

See you guys on the flip side.


No comments:

Post a Comment