Monday, January 11, 2016

David Bowie and Autism

Yes, the headline on this one is a bit misleading. No, as far as I am aware David Bowie never had autism. What I am trying to convey is that to me one of his songs hit the nail on the head with how we as parents feel when it comes to autism.

If you have never heard the song Space Oddity it is worth the listen. We as parents are ground control and our children are Major Tom. We go from connecting with our children to one day not being able to contact to them at all. It's really pretty much a scary thing to deal with. Most days we are at a loss with the fact we can't reach them.

David Bowie and Freddie Mercury shaped my musical world. Heck music is the only way that Doodle could pretty much communicate before and after she was diagnosed. This is where the barrier can be broken. The rainbow that you cross into with an insight into their world. It's something that I will always be grateful for. Not the fact that we always feel as though we are always Under Pressure. 

Doodle is into TobyMac now and can't get enough of his song Lights Shine Bright, featuring Hollyn. Which it's either going to be bass that she loves in the song or it's going to be the words to it. I'm not sure right now. But she also loves the song Til The Day I Die. This is the song she thoroughly enjoyed at the concert. I think mainly it was because Toby Mac was waving the Christian flag on stage. And that flag was huge!

So other then Space Oddity being our song for autism what would David Bowies' passing have to do with autism? Well, David Bowie taught us so much that we really need to embrace about autism. We need to be proud of who we are. That we are different, unique and even our "weirdness" we should embrace. It's who we are and it doesn't matter what others think. I mean heck when David Bowie came up with Ziggy Stardust, it sent us all to the craft store on the hunt for the perfect glitter. Okay, that was before my time but I'm stuck in a time warp. I was in middle school when Freddie Mercury passed away. His stage presence was legendary along with his music.

Both men believed that home life was something that should remain private. In this day and age of social media no one believes in having any privacy. 

And given that many parents hate everything about their child's autism, I'm not one of them. I don't focus on the autism aspect of Doodle. She's a creative child and some days I flap and spin with her which does get her attention and a smile from her. It's my way of connecting with her. Just like the legends of Freddie Mercury and David Bowie, with autism our children are special and unique. It doesn't take much to open their world. And yeah the stemming can get on my nerves at time but that's her soothing mechanism. It tells me that something is off and I need to figure out what it is and correct. I figure out the sensory first. Correct what is wrong with the input and output.

#RIPdavidbowie another legend gone. And just like Freddie when he knew his time was coming to an end they both still kept their fans close to their hearts and released albums before their death. Which shows us that we as parents always need to keep fighting 'Til The Day I Die, as per TobyMac. Which I know I will. 

You guys have a great day, I've got a meeting at the school today and two separate iep meetings tomorrow. The behavioral assessment plan is in tomorrow and Doodle's iep is expiring next month and has to be updated tomorrow.

If you caught all the songs listed in this blog, kuddos! You're my kind of person.









  


No comments:

Post a Comment