Wednesday, August 3, 2016

How to request an IEP, Autism

Not every single parent that has a child with special needs knows how to do this. And it is one of the most valuable pieces information that I can relay to you. Yes, I had to be taught this, but I was taught by a teacher that knew how to teach children on the spectrum. I've dealt with this so much in the past two years I can literally write up a letter, because I know how it's suppose to read and why it has to be done this way, in my sleep. And yes, at the end of the day a few times last year after Doodle was asleep and the picture schedule cleared, I've written a few half asleep.

I've also written one waiting at the light to get across the street to the school. So it' something that you need to make sure that you know how to write, when to write it and if it's really necessary to write one.

The common grounds for calling an IEP meeting are red flags. Red flags are things that your child is doing or behaviors that your child is exhibiting. When my husband was deployed for a year Doodle flipped her wig and I was told by her awesome teacher that I needed to call for an IEP meeting so they could address the issue and come up with a plan to correct the behavior. Remember that children on the spectrum do not handle change at all. It was really the first time that I had to ever deal with ABA. But this was my first lesson and after two failed attempts to write this thing up, I was shown how to do it.

So from me to you, here is your early Christmas. First off depending on how the school has treated you in the past depends on who all you call into your IEP. Find out who is head of the special needs department in your school district. If the school and the principal have denied your request in the past then you need to start contacting the ones over their heads for your last attempt before you call in your Advocate.

Don't be afraid to call in your advocate, remember that they are provided for you free of charge. And never be afraid to make the school aware that you are contacting your advocate and explain what the advocate is to them. Because using the word advocate won't always tell them it's a free lawyer provided for special needs cases. Here in the state where I live our advocates are know as ADAP which is short for Alabama Disabilities Advocacy Program. In most cases your advocate will tell you everything that you need to do, if that doesn't get results they will jump in and take over. They will even fight in the IEP meeting for your childs' rights on your behalf.

If you don't explain to the school what an advocate is, it's just like saying well, "I'm going home to call my ham sandwich." See, how this sentence makes no sense and how you can't take the person's sentence seriously? If I get the rebuff from the front desk I casually say, "That's okay. If I go home now I will be tempted to contact my advocate. And you are aware that my advocate is a lawyer that is provided free through the state for my childs rights." And that's all it takes. Not only do I get a response back immediately but I do end up getting results. Schools don't like the parents that come in and know all about their childs rights. It just throws a wrench into their plans and makes their day worse. Schools want to handle everything without lawyers getting involved because that would end up costing them way more money in the end.

So how does one call for an IEP meeting? Here are two examples. The first example is a standard IEP meeting call. The second will be a when you need to bring in everyone before the advocate can take over.

Side note: I always make my letters out the same, and it's always made out To Whom It May Concern.

Letter 1:

Date

To Whom It May Concern:

I am requesting an IEP meeting to be held on behalf of (insert child's full name) in regards to (insert your concerns) with (insert teachers name), (speech therapist name) and (occupational therapist name).

Under the laws and guidelines of my IEP rights, you have 10 days to respond and set up said meeting.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

 (Insert your full name)


Letter 2:

Date

To Whom It May Concern:

I am requesting an IEP meeting to be held on behalf of (insert child's full name) in regards to (insert your concerns) with (insert teachers name), (speech therapist name), (occupational therapist name), (principal's name) and (insert head of special education at school boards name).

Under the laws and guidelines of my IEP rights, you have 10 days to respond and set up said meeting.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

 (Insert your full name)

I do hand write all of my letters and either make a copy or take a picture of them before I send the letter off in Doodle's book bag. I also mark on my calendar the day the letter was sent off to the school and circle 10 working business days that I would be getting my response. I've always gotten my meeting way before the 10th day and I have always been called by that afternoon the letter was sent to set up the time and date.

I have known parents that verbally request and they have never been given their meeting. I have informed them of the importance of writing their letter as it is required that a letter be written. Sometimes, info falls on deaf ears because they have complained all throughout the school year they never got any of the meetings that they had requested all school year.

Keep your sanity and your head up. School is only as hard as you make it.

Hope you guys have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Understanding the concept of EB- 5 Investment

    LCR Capital Partners is a company formed by former students of Harvard, with expertise in the financial sector and also has partners with extensive experience in Fast Food Franchise. Built in 2014, it recieved its approval as Regional Centre by the US Department of Immigration (USCIS) quickly and efficiently.


    EB-5 Regional Center, Green Card EB-5 Visa, USA Investor Visa

    ReplyDelete