Monday, May 18, 2015

School Spring Fling and Autism

Today's post was going to have the pictures from awards day, but I was so far back all the pictures came out blurry. Doodle was dealing with an allergic reaction and the pictures showed a really grumpy child. So today we are on to Spring Fling.

Friday was a great day at the school. This was some rare time that I got to spend with Doodle while she played at school. The event that was set up by the PTA was just simply amazing.

Doodle tried two things that she wouldn't normally try. She did the dunk tank and the cakewalk. With the dunk booth I got to see a side of Doodle that is rare for parents like myself get to see in our children. And I can tell you she relished every moment of being a "normal child". She stood at the line that all the regular ed students stood at. When she threw the ball for the target she actually hit the target. Many students had tried and many didn't make it. She surprised everyone there including the teacher she dunked! All the kids wanted to high five her and she was the happiest little clam I have seen in while.

For the cake walk, I made sure that the people from Publix knew that she was a special ed student. Doodle was competing with regular ed students and well I didn't think she would be able to keep up or understand. The people at Publix did a fantastic job. They would stop the music when she was in front of them and push her into a chair. To me it was really funny because she didn't really understand what she was doing or why, she just wanted a cake. And thanks to Publix, they helped her to get that cake. To me that was so awesome. She made it to the very last but because she didn't get into the last of the two chairs she technically didn't win the game. But here is the awesome part. Not only did Publix give Doodle a coupon for ice cream for being a great sport but they also let her pick a cake too.

She did a few games and got a few prizes. She danced with the regular ed students and had a blast. By the time the event was over I was exhausted keeping up with her and her classmates. I kept an eye on one of the little boys in the class because the kids that were in charge of him didn't really want to do it. He has autism too but a little more sever then Doodle's. He's really such a sweet little boy. He's about the same height as me and wanders away pretty quick.

And of course I get the question that I'm used to hearing. My name has pretty much been changed. I will respond to Doodle's Mommy. Several kids came running up to me and asked if I was Doodle's Mommy and I said yes. One little girl came up and asked. I responded with yes and she screamed out, I've always wanted to meet you! It was the funniest thing I have heard in awhile.

You guys enjoy the pictures and enjoy your day!




























No comments:

Post a Comment