Wednesday, May 20, 2015

IEP storms and Autism

So, it's Friday. Today's post was posted this morning before I finished getting ready to go to Doodle's Spring Fling at school. Summer is coming and that means most of my blog will be dedicated to crafts with Doodle. Yep, the child is multi-talented.

The storm outside my window is viciously beating on everything. Inside, I'm working on my blog. Because as you guys know the deadline's approaching. I wouldn't say that it is fast approaching, but it is approaching. I've only missed one deadline and I still feel guilty over it.

So what do I mean by IEP storms? These are incidences that are happening at the school out of your control. I'm a bit of a control freak but I step back when it comes to the school unless I have to step up.

I've mentioned in the medicate blog that it's best to be in an autism support group to discuss with other parents their feelings or views on certain medications for kids on the spectrum. In the group tonight was a mom. She had posted before on this issue of the school and a teacher that was harassing and tormenting her son into meltdowns. The teacher was not in her son's class. It was teacher that teaches regular ed classes.

REMEMBER your IEP is a corner to corner contact. A friend once told me that. Everything on the IEP has to be followed by a T. What happens when someone breaks a contract? Well, it's against the law to break a binding contract. What is you IEP? A binding corner to corner contract between you and the school. This holds the school accountable. If you can remember that and say it in your IEP meetings, you will be good to go. If you have a school that doesn't take IEP's seriously and doesn't follow them well then you've got another animal on your hands, if you are in the States.

Now for my friend in this group she got a lot of advice. Remember, her son was being tortured in school by a teacher. To the point where it caused meltdowns. If you read your parental rights you know that your child is entitled to a free, safe and healthy environment for learning. Is her son allowed to that with being tortured? No.

Here's what you do. Find the local advocate program for your state. Mine is ADAP. Alabama Disabilities Advocacy Program. The day of my incident with the Para, I contacted ADAP and left a message. I also put in my planner/calender the name of the person I left a message with. Their email address, office address, fax number, number I called and address where they are located.

Normally, you don't get to see the principal at Doodle's new school. I went there for my afternoon IEP meeting to start the process for getting Doodle on the waiting list for a new school. The waiting list for this school is long and I needed to get on it way before Doodle gets into middle school. I asked to speak with the principal before my meeting. She was busy so I left a detailed note for her door. I listed the complaint I had against this para and I made sure at the end that ADAP, my lawyers had been contacted and I was waiting to hear back from them.

This is the fastest I have ever gotten the principals' attention. My IEP meeting hadn't even started and I was pulled to the principals office. She asked if we could get this handled without my lawyers being involved. Well, of course we can. Why was I able to get her attention so quickly? It's because of the steps I took. I contacted my advocates first before I even let the school know what's going on.

Now with my friend she may possibly be able to double dip. This particular teacher had been warned by the school not to do this incident again and yet the person just won't stop. How can she double dip? This is a form of bullying. For what to do with your child who is being bullied? You will have to read Friday's blog, Bully's and Autism.

Have a great day guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment