Wednesday, May 6, 2015

In the Kitchen with Autism

So last Friday Doodle and I were in the kitchen making candies. At Doodle's previous school her teacher and para educator had a day where they taught the kids how to make snacks for themselves. This was an important class that she did every week. It laid the ground work for Doodle to be my kitchen helper to focus and help me prepare meals for our family. Since we have moved I haven't had Doodle help me in the kitchen as I used to.

Friday however was a different day for us. It was time to teach Doodle how to make chocolates from scratch. For this I used a recipe from the simple cooking channel on youtube. I melted the organic cocoa butter on the stove on a double boiler. Doodle would peek at the progress in the double boiler but she didn't try to touch it or get too close to the stove.

I lined up all the ingredients, though I didn't use honey as my sweetner. I used 5 little packages of my stevia. I use that in all of the things that I make for myself. Worked every well I might add. I had all the ingredients lined up for Doodle to place them in the bowl with the melted cocoa butter and she was the one in charge of mixing it all together. She did very well and I am very happy with how the chocolates turned out. But the thing that impressed me the most was as much of this chocolate as she eats she doesn't get the bouncing off the wall energy that she normally gets with eating lots of candy.

All the ingredients that you need to get you can find at your local health food store. And this is a perfect project to do with your child, whether they are on the spectrum or not. Make sure you keep your child looking towards your face in order for them to hear you. That's the key to focusing and listening for kids on the spectrum. Eye contact is not easy for them but pointing to your nose and speaking works great!

Popping chocolate out of the molds while we eat the chocolates.

Doodle thinks the chocolates tasted wonderful.

Want to make your own? Here's the recipe, thanks in part to the Simple Cooking Channel, on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvxn0V0jVZU

No comments:

Post a Comment