Friday, May 8, 2015

Homework helpers and Autism

Welcome to Friday!!!! Yeah, right now it's not Friday and my work is piling up but while I have the images that are to go into this post it was best just to go ahead and knock this bad boy out.

My ebooks are coming back corrupt for some reason and it's something that needs to be fixed. So while the website is being updated it's a perfect opportunity to go ahead and get my work on this blog done. Here I am listening to the Brant Hansen show on Way FM, laughing and giggling at the show. Time is going by sort of slow, which is good for me. But I have that issue from last week stuck in my head. Someone stepped on my toes, demanding that I medicate Doodle for stemming and I missed last week's post. I really should have known better then to let it get skipped but some times things happen. Life throws you curve balls.

And speaking of curve balls I've got a little trick for you if you have trouble getting your child to do their homework. You're darned if you do darned if you don't on a snack and how your child does their homework. With Doodle it has to be done a certain way or a meltdown ensues and nothing will get done but my blood pressure going through the roof.

It's no secret that kids don't like doing homework. Doodle has always hated doing homework and it has always been a battle. The fight Royale to get it done. Right now, I have it down to a science. If I want her to get her homework done in under 10 minutes for the 3-4 pages that she gets a night then we put snack with homework.

Depending on how long the page is depends on how much of the snack she gets. Writing the word twice on one line will earn her one gold fish cracker to eat. If it's writing the word in the fill in the blanks then a gold fish cracker per word written. If it's math homework then she gets one cracker per math problem. And there you have it. By the time she is done with her homework she's also had her snack and she is ready for the rest of her afternoon schedule.

I never let Doodle have direct access to her snacks as she will eat them and not do her work. Her favorite "I love the fishes cause they're so delicious!" is the ones that taste like cookies and not crackers. The sweet treats are her go too's for getting homework done. 

No that's not a real animal, that's a $20 toy from Michael's craft store. Obsessions get expensive. 

No the Faygo was not her drink to go with homework and snack. She had to have this can by her chipmunk. If she doesn't have things a certain way she won't do anything.

Homework gets knocked out in 10 minutes or less. If we didn't do homework this way, it just wouldn't get done at all. Thankfully, Doodle never put two and two together and realized the meltdown she had all flipping evening and night last Wednesday was the reason she didn't do homework at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment