Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Unknown pain and Autism

So as most of you have noticed there was no blog post on Friday or Monday. Doodle was sick with an ear infection and was out of school. So she was home so I could take care of her and since she was running a fever at school on Thursday, kids can't go back to school unless they have been fever free without the help of medication for 24 hours. So that was my long weekend. Monday I was busy just trying to catch up on everything. This was written on Monday but finished tonight, on Wednesday.

Today has brought it's own challenges. Doodle has been SLS free for about 4 or 5 years now. If you don't know what sls is, here is it's technical name. Sodium Laurel Sulfate. This is a chemical that is found in a lot of products from toothpaste, soap, liquid soap, lotions, bubble bath and shampoos. Anything that would need to bubble in most cases and would need a preservative to keep from going bad you will find will have sls in it. If you do a little research you will find that sls and slsa are very harmful chemicals. They cause cancer and cataracts. But what can you do? Large commercial companies put them into everything because it's a cheaper product to use to fill the product up. Convenience is our down fall.

If you have been following Kreed from Kreed's World, A complex journey through autism, it's worth checking out. Here lately Kreed's pain issues have caused him to self harm in very bad ways. And the posts and video's from his parents are just heart breaking. But why would I bring up Kreed? Keep reading and you will find out.

Well, this morning after I had Doodle brush her teeth she wanted to use mouthwash and I figured since she just brushed her teeth with the toothpaste that I make up maybe it would be okay. Grant it sls is in mouthwash and the bentonite clay and coconut oil in the toothpaste are suppose to removed toxins. Since she is learning how to take care of her own teeth without me having to brush them anymore I'm thinking she didn't really brush her teeth that well this morning. When she got to school she went into fits against herself. She began slapping her face and punching herself in the head. She was whining and crying and wouldn't stop.

I knew what the issue was so I knew how to combat this problem. That chemical had to be removed out of her body and quick! Since I had just made up a batch of toothpaste I knew that I had run out of the clay. Bentonite clay acts just like activated charcoal. It works quickly and I can always count on it. So I grabbed our toothpaste and headed to the school. I knew the fastest way to get the clay to work would be to put it on the inside of her mouth between her cheek and her gums. I used to care for a type 1 diabetic and when his sugars would drop to low I had to put frosting there to bring his blood sugars back up. After just a few short minutes she was back to normal. A little whiny for the rest of the day but she wasn't trying to self correct input/output or the stabbing pain in the body feeling as I like to call it.

Her behavior at school reminded me a lot of what Kreed was going through. I've been seeing his mothers posts a lot in my feed as I do like to keep up with what other children on the spectrum are going through. We are a tight knit community. A lot of children on the spectrum go through stomach pains, whereas some don't. It's best to be aware of what a lot of children on the spectrum are experiencing so you don't feel so lost. If these kids and parents have gone through it sometimes they will tell you the doctors they went to that helped. I'd much better be prepared then grasping for straws. That was what our first 4 years with autism were like. Not know who or what services to get. The first 3 years of autism are the hardest. I don't want other parents to feel as lost as I did after Doodle's diagnoses.

When Doodle was around 5 or 6 is when I had done research on the products we had in the house. I stumbled upon a site called Wellness Momma and the products she created and one was homemade toothpaste. Reading through the comments I noticed a lot of autism parents had commented on her blog post about how much the toothpaste had changed their child's behavior. Children were beginning to get speech, they were focusing and they weren't doing the yelling that the parents were used too. I figured it was worth at least a try. And yes her behavior changed dramatically. As you who have been with this blog for awhile, you know I've referred to Doodle's past as her being a wild child. She's no longer a wild child so I've stuck with the toothpaste that I make. I like controlling what goes into the products and they having things in them I can pronounce.

Yes, the toothpaste in my opinion helps Doodle with her autism. She focuses more and will learn and take correction when prompted. I feel better with knowing what is in my products verses not knowing. I can sleep with a clear conscious.

You guys have a great day!

FYI the title says unknown pain but I knew it was sensory pain. SLS has a habit of causing sensory pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment