Wednesday, January 21, 2015

I can only do so much Autism

I can only do so much when it comes to autism. I work with essential oils a lot and have games and activities for at home that help and that includes a sensory light window. But my conversation yesterday with the Para-Educator  threw me for a loop. When Doodle transferred to this new school I made it perfectly clear that not only did they need to have a picture schedule in place to keep her from being so confused but I wanted her to have the learning environment that she had at her last school.

Her last school was my favorite and she couldn't stay there forever. Last year was her last year there whether I liked it or not. Secretly I wished the teacher flunked her so she could have another year there. Doodle made such improvements in her autism with that teacher and I am forever in her debt for it. I still keep in touch with her educators from the last school. Doodle won't be able to continue on her progress if I don't know what's going on in the world of autism or in the world of special needs. Her previous teacher always has new things being used in the classroom and always has therapy activities going on even if it's not therapy time or days.

Children on the spectrum have to continue learning no matter what, because it takes them over 1000 times being told something before they get it. Yeah, you think life is a broken record now. My simple solution to that one. Teach your child sign language. Then you can sign it when you're getting frustrated. Believe it or not I actually help Doodle speak. When someone is speaking to her and she doesn't know what to do or to say, because you know social interaction is not there strongest point I sign to her what to say. And it's very rare that people have that look of what is wrong with you or your child. When you get those looks that's when I go into the she has autism speeches. Right now people think that she's a very polite, quiet child. And in a way she is and it all stems from her Teacher. I can't really say first teacher because she's already had a first teacher. One in the home and then she graduated to a school for pre-K with disabilities. Doodle was on Regis and Kelly during that time. And oh was that mortifying! Good to know that when your teacher tells you that your child is so good in school and they are so impressed with her art ability only to watch a video of your child acting like a complete menace! She gave Dennis the Menace a run for his money back during those days! Thanks for lying to me second teacher. Then Doodle was transferred to a school I didn't want her to go too.

This was a school I had already had personal problems with before and I am not about to get into that one. It was also with this teacher that Doodle regressed and the school she transferred to had their hands full with stopping the regression in it's tracks and getting her to progress. This school that she transferred too has a special place in my heart. Love and miss that school very much, but they only went up to the 2nd grade and Doodle is now in the 3rd grade. So she couldn't stay there forever.

Get it together new school. My child doesn't need a babysitter she needs to be taught. She needs to learn. According to her iep she's entitled to free education. Regular children get free education, why can't Doodle? That's okay I've been ahead of them for awhile. Doodle is writing a book. The pictures have been done for years now it's just getting the words on paper that most people have problems with. And yes sometimes that happens with me as well. but she's writing the book not me so this will take a bit of time. She will continue to learn even if the school wants to take their time with her education.

You guys have a fabulous day!


No comments:

Post a Comment