Monday, January 26, 2015

Autism is not a disease, it's a state of mind.

Okay, so there are a few things that people tell me that will "ruffle my feathers" and this morning was no exception. And the words, did you really just say that? hit me quick. So in the school office there is a new secretary and I needed to walk Doodle to class. There are a few words that I'm having trouble correcting and that's where the speech therapist comes in handy. The only one that can relay that message for me is her teacher. It's very rare that I need to walk Doodle to class. She has a Para Educator that comes out to get her every single morning. Since I needed to discuss with her teacher the few words that needed correcting, something they probably don't ask of her to say. That and this weekend Doodle had a play date with 2 other special needs children and she really wasn't playing correctly. She's basically an only child and there for I don't have the luxury of having other children around all the time to have her interact with.

And being the correct type parent that I am I signed in at the office to walk her to class. The receptionist looked at me and said you can't come in the building without an appointment. My reply was harsh and rebuffed. As the, did you really just say that to me? look came across my face. I looked her squarely in the eye and said,  "You do realize this is the special needs class right?" And I promptly walked off.

Doodle is entitle to free and fair education. Every child is, but Doodle's is written in my parental rights form as her voice. If she wanted to go further with the discussion she would have found herself in a world of verbal hurt. I'm not saying I would verbally accost her but I would make it very clear my rights as a parent and care giver of a special needs child. Something not a lot of regular teachers or even receptionist know. Remember, your child is a rock star. You're entitled to therapy and services that kids who don't have "issues" like my child does. It's not like Doodle can go to school and say, "Hey mom says she's having a hard time correcting the way I say usmic." Yeah, that's how she says music. And when she sings Jesus loves me it sounds like Jesus lurshs me. Yeah, cute to me but now she's 9 and that has to go too. She needs to be able to pronounce it correctly. And I've been through these words a thousand times and she just won't correct.

You have more rights then you realize. Your trying to get help for your child through free services that are provided through the school. I have a friend that can't use her services at her school. She can't utilize speech therapy because her child is getting feeding therapy. Bother her kids need OT therapy. That I noticed very clearly. I told her that she needed to get that school in shape. When you really don't have a school that knows how to deal with special needs children, teachers who only want to be paid the big bucks to baby sit are the schools that do the most harm and injustice to children who have rights too. I've had the babysitting teacher and Doodle had a regression. I'm not going back down that path.

Take your stand and fight for your right to free and fair education. Be bold and don't let anyone treat you like you are nothing because your child doesn't have a voice. You're more powerful then you realize it.

Autism is not a disease, it's a state of mind.

Have a great day and rock on Entrepreneurs!

No comments:

Post a Comment