Friday, January 16, 2015

The big squeeze and Autism

So this morning in my news feed on facebook I saw that a new version of a squeeze machine is coming out. This one will be more affordable. Which is great news when it comes to the autism community. I had a friend who taught me her tip for getting her autistic child to calm down during outbursts. She would wrap her child up in a beach towel like she was wrapping her up when she was a baby. She would hug her and hold her and rock her. She would sing to her and before she knew it her daughter was calm and quiet. That's very powerful. And yes her method does work.

For those who are curious about the new "hugging" sensory chairs follow this link to find out more. They won't be available until after April but we have a starting point.  http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2015/01/07/students-calming-chairs/19944/

Temple Grandin's research on a hugging machine are in the article so I don't need to go over how hugging can help a child on the spectrum.

Doodle's birthday is a few short days away, I have a ton of things to finish up before the big day and I'm already getting flack from my ex. Why yes let me drop everything for you. Just like you dropped your wife and special needs child out of YOUR house.

Good news that I just got is that I'm getting a list of sensory boxes to make at home for Doodle and yes I will share them on here with you guys so ya'll can make them too to help your kids on the spectrum. Along with that I need to get a letter of recommendation written up for Doodle's previous teacher. I am so excited to do that for her and honored that she would ask me. She was the key to getting Doodle where she is today. A great teacher is really hard to find that works to get your where they know they need to be in life. Someone who will never give up and always helps your child learn through the murky waters of autism.

Back to work! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment