Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Sensory issues for tonight and autism

Well, as we all know tonight is the night that parents on the spectrum dread. All the fireworks that will be going off because it's a celebration. Well to me I'm not celebrating the new year. I haven't in all the times that Doodle has flipped her wig because of the booms and the bangs that go along with the celebration. If you have a child on the spectrum that fears the fireworks you know my feelings. The best way to combat this is to make sure that your child has everything that you need to keep sane.

Have your melatonin on hand so that your child won't have trouble getting to sleep from their shear terror. If your child has medication for anxiety make sure that it is filled and ready to go. Doodle is not on any medications. I refuse to drug my child with pharmaceutical drugs. Some parents swear by them however I'm not one of them. I swear by essential oils. Frankincense is my go to oil when I'm feeling stressed or a little under the weather. It's like prozac but in a healthier form. All I have to do is smell it and I become calm and relaxed. It's an instant booster!

Make sure that you have your ear plugs, ear muffs or noise drowning head phones ready. These do make sensory issues with sound bearable. Muffled booms and bangs are easier for a child on the spectrum to deal with.

Also make sure that you have your child's favorite anything handy. Doodle's go to toy is an Ojo doll from Bear in the Big Blue House. This stuffed animal has been with her through all of her surgeries. I am thankful that she has a doll that she holds to tightly through scary situations in life. And also make sure that you have favorite pajama's and underwear and their favorite blanket handy and ready for the night to get through.

Remember tackle the sensory issues first. Sensory issues are what are going to be causing the tantrums and meltdowns. Tackle those and you'll have a smooth night with no problems.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment