Thursday, December 25, 2014

Keeping family traditions with Autism

Since I am back in my hometown Doodle has been used to a certain Christmas tradition every year since she was an itty bitty. This year I'm not so sure if I'm going to keep the tradition of hot chocolate with whipped cream on top. If was that my now ex would cook the meal we would have later in the day and my job was the big breakfast. Which I promptly got up at 5 in the morning to start. Of course I would spend most of my night wrapping all the gifts for everyone that would appear under the tree with Santa's gifts. Every year I would stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning wrapping because everyone was good and asleep.

This year all I did was purchase the gift. My wonderful mother took care of wrapping them for me. So that is one stress that is off my back. As for making breakfast I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with that one. Might still do the hot chocolate but it isn't going to be fancy as I know the only thing Doodle will want to do the moment she wakes up is tear into gifts. That's the way it's always been. No child ever wanted to eat a good hot meal when they woke up. They only cared about the gifts. Maybe in a couple of years when I am back on my feet and Doodle and I have a house of our own that's more customized for her sensory needs will I start that tradition again. It did really mean a lot to me. I took great pains and joy trying to make the entire family happy. And since I know that Doodle will only want to tear into gifts then let her have her joy and let mommy have her break.

And since it is Christmas and I will be discussing Jesus and all the wonderful things he has done for us starting with his birth this blog will be shorter then normal.

Have a Merry Christmas and happy Holiday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment