Monday, December 22, 2014

Trimming your ASD child's nails

For me it used to be such a hassle to get Doodle's nails trimmed. And since I have to do it myself I've turned it into a sort of play with her. She's 8 and it's a perfect age to teach her to sit still. Now I will admit that I have taken her to the nail salon because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to do it myself in the beginning. She loved playing in the water and squeal with delight at the lady working on her hands and feet. She still squirmed but she seemed to enjoy it. but as you know a trip to the spa to get a mani pedi does get expensive at times and I need to make sure that I can keep from having too much hurt my bottom line.

I like to make up an invitation for her. Since she is able to read it gives makes it special for her. Well, if it doesn't for her it does for me. I have lots of different colors for her to pick and choose from and for holidays I like to draw little designs on her nails. For her favorite images on her nails she normally won't chew those off. Normally the paint on her nails only lasts for a day, in some cases not even that. That's why I feel that the nail salon is just a waste of money. Doodle is still not used to having her nails trimmed no matter how often I trim them. But she is getting better at staying still for a bit.

It takes me roughly 30 minutes to do her finger nails. A little longer for her toe nails because she's really ticklish on her feet. I have noticed when I put little jewels on her fingers she's more cautious of her fingers and doesn't try to do too much rough play. Doodle loves to get dirty.

I have heard that some parents of children on the spectrum trim their kids nails while they sleep. I can't do that. Doodle is such a rough sleeper that she tosses and turns, flips and rolls all over the bed.

So there you have it! My way of teaching Doodle how to learn not to fidget and enjoy mommy daughter time. This can be done with a boy also and just forfeit the polish. Explain what you are doing during the process. I know it's not easy but starting out at the nail salon set the stage for working with her nails at home.

Remember that children on the spectrum do love to be included in what we consider normal routines for us. They love to be included and accepted.






No comments:

Post a Comment