Monday, October 19, 2015

Its a school project Autism

So as you guys noticed last week appeared to be crafting week after the funeral that I posted about on Monday. Well, I am taking the crafting on to this week. Halloween is fast approaching and it's the time of year for fun artsy fartsy crafts. Yeah, I just said artsy fartsy. So last Tuesday a paper came home that announced the entire school was to participate in a pumpkin craft. The kids are to turn a pumpkin into a fictional book character and it's to be a book that is elementary school appropriate. There goes Harry Potter. Admit it, a Harry Potter pumpkin would have been awesome!

But Doodle has an obsession with frogs. And it's not a good obsession.  As you know a kid with ASD and their obsession can be costly. I know Doodle has thousands of dollars wrapped up in stuffed fish. And don't get me started over everything stuffed and Muppets. Do you know how hard it was to find a Gonzo, before Amazon was the go to online shop???

Well, Doodle had a book she wanted to turn into a pumpkin. The Frog who wanted to be a Singer. Yep, she turned a pumpkin into a frog. And it was pretty much a cake walk! I was surprised as to how easy it was. It was suppose to be a real pumpkin, but what parent in their right mind is going to send a real pumpkin for an elementary school student to drop at school. Don't answer that one. As I know there will be lots of kindergartners dropping pumpkins the moment they hop off the bus or get out of the car today. Maybe I should just stand back at the breezeway and watch the little faces drop as the pumpkins fall. Nah, I have more important things to do today. And it just wouldn't be right to watch children's faces fall because they dropped a project they worked so hard on. But this was a topic last week with my friends while waiting for the the kids to get out of school.

And on a side note, Doodle was not having it this morning. Just didn't want to gt dressed. She fought me every step of the way to get ready, so needless to say she was late getting to school. We did arrive before the tardy bell, which is always good, But battling with Mohammad Ali is just no fun in the mornings. No she didn't hit me she just refused to get dressed. And I felt like I was going rounds in the boxing ring.

But enough about my morning. Let's get on with the images. You guys have a great day!

The start of the project. Painting the pumpkin from orange to green. I used Grumbacher paints and paint brushes.

 She glued pipe cleaners to foam that I helped to cut out of legs and arms. I think we should have used more pipe cleaners so the legs and arms were more pose-able.

Here is Doodle adding both the arms and legs and the sticky spots.

I poked holes in the pumpkin so the pipe cleaners would be able to make sure the legs and arms stayed attached to the body. And from there she added all the spots of the frog.

Here is Doodle adding the spots. This project was a breeze with the stick on foam.

Finished project!

For a project I think the frog turned out great!

Ta Da!


Side view!





No comments:

Post a Comment