Friday, October 16, 2015

Cupcake soaps and regular moms Autism

Yep, the title says it all. I am far from regular. I'm the type of parent that when it comes to my child every single moment of the day is like a theatrical event to me. I'm either observing or I'm apart of the show. Because I'm always preforming. With either wrangling Doodle, helping her to become extraordinary in all that she does or I'm working for myself. To me life is an event and I have front row seats.

So someone told me a couple nights ago they thought I was just a regular mom with an autistic kid. Regular? Regular? Really??? What am I a plain burger with nothing on it but one little pickle? I had just helped Doodle finish her project for school and preparing for the thing she wants most in this house. Cupcake soaps. Yeppers, Doodle and I are making cupcake soaps. Great little kit from Michaels Craft store. Hint hint, awesome coupons in the Sunday paper and you too can be mom or dad of the year!

Crafting with Doodle is a way that she and I can bond. It helps her with listening skills, Occupational skills and helps with sensory. So to me it's a win win all around! And what cupcakes wouldn't be complete without glitter? Thankfully the kit didn't come with cherry toppers, though we would have done those with pride!

Living this life is not regular. If you have a child on the spectrum you know the only thing regular that you will find in your life is the poop smears you will have to wipe off the walls at some point in time during your day. And even then some kids grow out of this, some don't. Doodle did grow out of this phase, which made it a phase. 5 years of this phase but she did grow out of it. How could I be a regular mom? Oh I know! I don't share my life on social media. So it's easy to dismiss the fact that I barely share anything on there minus the Bible verses, which I do look forward to sharing daily if I happen to be around a computer or internet to share them. It's not hard for me to take a long break from social media as God first then Doodle and lastly myself. So where in there would I be able to fit in social media? I don't really. It's just something to pass the time away with in the mornings and to catch up with friends who live far away. And of course to those who seek help with their own children on the spectrum.

Some days as you guys know it's even a struggle to share our life here in this blog. Yes, I understand that finding parents who have accomplishments with ASD are very hard to find. When they do have blogs you had better believe that most of the time they are working their tails off to get their kids up to par so that they can have well paying jobs and can better take care of themselves when they become of age. Our jobs as parents with ASD kids are non stop. Heck most of the time our kids don't even sleep. So we are barely functioning. Kuddos to the parents with ASD kids who don't need extra help getting their kids to sleep. Heck it wasn't until just recently I learned a trick to get Doodle's melatonin to kick in 5 minutes after I give it to her.

Our lives are far from regular. Maybe the word regular is something that is just a bitter word for me now as my life is as I would put it extraordinary.  So on that note, here are the pictures of our newest craft project that Doodle has been looking forward to getting and using. As for the project for school, those pictures will be released on Monday, as it is the day the pumpkins get turned into the school for judging.

You guys have a great day.

The base of the cupcake soaps was the easiest to do.

Doodle putting on the sprinkles. you see her little pinching fingers?

Yay! Glitter everywhere! I looked like a Twilight Vampire by the end of this project.

And even though glitter was everywhere! They turned out perfect! Ready to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment