Friday, April 10, 2015

Sunburns and Autism

Wednesday was my birthday and the man who is my ex made sure that it was the best birthday I've had in a long time. Sometimes the people with the kindest hearts are the ones who are treated the cruelest. Mainly because we won't stick up for ourselves. It's hard to find the words to speak for who we are and what someone does it not right. But once you change your out look on yourself people take notice and treat you the way that you deserve to be treated.

It took my birthday to find out who I was. I've been so lost in the autism life that I forget who I am. I have the confidence in myself to sprout out autism facts and ways to combat some of the issues that parents face that have helped other parents. What really helped was a couple thousand posts to my personal facebook page. The few that I really truly talk to are the ones that reminded me of that. My friend Terri told me that I was a person that changes lives. I'm so upbeat that I can't help myself. She admires me and yeah that really meant a lot to me.

My friend Christy left me a message that I was a person that was beautiful on the inside and out! I never stop to think about who I am or what I am suppose to be. I know that I have to go out there and share the love of Christ. Because it's the love of Christ that is who I am and yeah he pretty much makes me beautiful inside and out. Some don't see me as I roll my eyes when a meltdown rears it's ugly head. Though they are few and far between I will still roll my eyes at them. They are frustrating for me and for her.

My friend Chip told me that I can handle anything like it was nothing while even standing on my head. Chip I really don't talk to on a personal level. It's nice to know that you matter and mean something to everyone that you come in contact with.

Again it boiled down to just having some me time. That is time that I rarely get. A nice soak in the tub for about an hour and then maybe 30 minutes of television time. Not having to worry about Doodle stomping, yelling and getting into things or tearing anything up.

The next day I took her swimming where she was pretty much like a fish in water. She loves the water. Children on the spectrum are drawn to water. So of course you know that had my guard up. Making sure that she didn't try to drown herself. Doodle's had several years worth of swimming lessons that didn't seem to take. I spent a good portion of time trying to get her to focus and paddle her feet and move her arms.

She played, she enjoyed herself and that's all that matters. She did have me scared when she kept trying to go to the deep end. I stayed close to her so that when she tried to head to the deep end I would be able to pull her back.

And yes, though she and I were slathered in sun screen we still ended up with a bit more sun to our skin then I would have liked for us to have had. Nothing aloe vera gel won't fix.

There was a lot more that happened on my birthday but it was a pretty busy couple of days with searching for a Dairy Queen so I could keep a tradition that I've had for close to 10 years. A chilli cheese dog with onions. That was the last meal that my grandfather and I shared together before he was killed. And of course the ice cream. I love Dairy Queen ice cream. I got some beautiful roses from my ex and of course a cake.

And due to all the fun the past couple of days that Doodle had it was no surprise that she had a meltdown when her father left. It was the first time I had Doodle take a nap. And as you know Doodle does not get to sleep without help. I gave her less then 0.5 ml of melatonin which resulted in a 20 minute nap. And that did not stop the meltdowns when she woke up. So after dinner and around 7:00 pm I gave her her regular dose of melatonin. The next morning she is back to happy chipper self and no meltdowns.

Back to the grind stone. You guys have a great day.


where we enjoyed the pool fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment