Wednesday, April 15, 2015

MercyMe and Autism

So by now the new song Flawless has debuted by MercyMe. Why are they so important you ask? Well, with the new song Flawless they address how the world see's us all with flaws. In the video you will find a little boy who has autism.

I recall the times that people give dirty looks and say things that are harsh to Doodle and sometimes to myself because they don't understand the life that we live. And why should they really? Is it because now more children are being diagnosed with autism. When Doodle was diagnosed on the spectrum the commercial that aired on the radio coming back from her diagnoses was 1 in 150 children are diagnosed with autism. Now it's 1 in 50 diagnosed on the spectrum.

The numbers are growing larger by the years that pass. But back on subject, the world does see Doodle and others like her as flawed. If that's fair. No, not really. Heck some would have said back in my day I was flawed. With all the piercings in my ears and my bright purple hair that I rocked with confidence because I was the only one in the family who was considered the "black sheep".

Yesterday, I posted about our trip to the Sea Lab. And as I write this post I'm reminded of the mother wearing her church shirt with such pride because the youth is important. Why does she stick out? Because I was praising Doodle for unprompted speech and this woman turned and gave me a dirty look. It's not like Doodle wears a shirt that says I have autism, cheer if you hear speech.

It's the Christian woman that looked down on me with her dirty look that awoke a spark of anger at her. She is a woman in the church why look at me as if I'm the one with some sort of mental issue? I'm proud of the progress and work that my child makes. We thank Jesus for the speech that Doodle has.

And this is where our worlds mimic each other and yet are separate from each other. She and I are both mothers. Her kids were teens or at least one was a pre-teen also known as a tween. We both enjoy time with our families, our loved ones. The whole day at the Sea Lab I loved looking at the mothers working with their children. Where their children were able to take verbal direction, Doodle took a bit to get the directions down. The mothers that looked a little exhausted from the day but were happy with their kids, just as I was. And here I was face to face with a mother who is suppose to be like me. Suppose to be like Christ because she wore it on her shirt. Her son wore his church shirt. Dirty looks aren't suppose to come from "these type of people". And yet they do all the time.

But let me tell you how it was handled. I didn't have a say a word to her. Every time she made eye contact with me I would smile. Maybe she was tired of being there. With so many people and so many activities you have those parents who brave so much for their kids to have what they want. To be treated normal like every other kid. I'm not going to deny my child because of dirty looks. They are just as much a part of my day as breathing is apart of my day.

And sometimes "Christians" need to be reminded that church doesn't end when the service is over. Church doesn't end for us at all. We are the walking church. We are to share the love of Christ at every chance we get. Maybe my smile will get through to her. Maybe my words of great speech I'm so proud of you! will strike a cord and she will realize that what she thinks is a flaw is actually flawless.

And for those who want to think of Doodle and myself as freaks. We fly that flag high! We are Jesus Freaks, loud and proud. Jesus loves that mother with the dirty looks just like he loves me and all my flawless glory. Because we are saved by the blood that he shed on the cross. He died for her and he died for me. And for that I am eternally grateful. I'm too meek to bust out a throat punch or a nasty word to her. I just want to say that I'm am sorry that she was having a bad day. And I am truly grateful to the parents who understood us. Who treated Doodle like a normal child. Gave her and I smiles and not dirty looks. There are far more people out there like that then their are dirty looks.

If you want to see the video Flawless by MercyMe check it out here. flawless. http://www.wayfm.com/content/music/be-the-first-to-see-the-new-mercyme-video-flawless/

Have a great day guys! Love you all!!!

An older picture of Doodle being silly.

Sea Lab fun. The line with the dirty looks



No comments:

Post a Comment