Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Work it Autism

Yesterday was the first day that Doodle and I were able to start walking again after she became very sick from an ear infection. This was the worst ear infection that I've ever dealt with on her. Her ear medications just weren't working at all.

After three days the medications the doctor prescribed seemed to be making things worse I decided that I would go old school for her. I started with rubbing some tea tree oil on her ear lobe with my fingers and behind her ear. This helped a little but not by much. I figured frankincense was the next best choice since it is the oil that seems to work the best on keeping her autism in check.

I rubbed that on her ear lobe and on the back of her ear and she began to have immediate relief. Which was a relief to me because as any parent with a child on the spectrum knows, the screaming drives you insane. Doodle normally doesn't scream unless she's in a lot of pain and like I have said countless times in this blog I deal with the sensory issues in order to give her a better chance at functioning in life.

Children on the spectrum normally scream and dealing with the screaming when Doodle had no speak taught me a lot about what was going on. It's kind of like trying to sooth a toddler when they are fighting sleep and have their teeth coming in. Sometimes you know what might be the problem other times you don't.

And considering that Doodle was telling everyone her left ear hurt and it was the right ear that was infected. Sometimes its a hit and miss. Cleaning both ears pretty much told me every single day which ear was the culprit.  And let me just say that cleaning her ears were not the easiest in the world. I have some patience with Doodle's autism but the screaming was horrible. It tried my patience. I have a friend who is a nurse and yes I know not to put q-tips in Doodle's ears. I kept the q-tip outside of the canal and cleared everything that was draining. Keep yourself sane and keep your child's ear drum in tack by only clearing on the outside of the canal. Oh and the vacuum ear cleaner that you can buy just about anywhere, don't waist your money. That product does not work at all.

Well, back to work. Have a great day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment