Monday, August 21, 2017

Let's talk about the eclipse, Autism

Here we are another Monday and what is the big event that happened today? It's the once in a lifetime event. So as an autism parent, what are your plans for keeping your kids' eyes safe?

Doodle, well she's very curious of the world and how it works and what's in it. So what is my plan for this once in a lifetime event? Our schools here are not allowing any of the children to participate in the event. No viewing. All they are being taught is look at the ground. Well, yeah I understand that concept. And if I choose to keep Doodle home from school today, it's an excused absence. But will we be participating?

Yes, we will be participating. On Monday morning we will be headed to the park at 7 am to go play on the playground. Why so early? I've discovered that there are no children out playing so early in the morning and most parents don't show up until about 10-11 am. I won't have to worry about Doodle running over smaller children while she plays. She will be able to play on a playground in peace and no children will be staring at her or frightened by her because they realize that she is different.

I hate those stares. I really hate those looks. When I get my exercise in we will be headed home and from there I will start talking about the solar eclipse. There is a craft project that will be better suited to her disability and we both can watch the eclipse safely at the beginning. Doodle has a short attention span so I know that we won't be able to watch for long. So we will go inside and she can watch the event as NASA will be live streaming this for the schools and I have the link. If she chooses to go outside again and view some more, we can.

As her parent it is my responsibility to allow her to experience life to the fullest. If the school doesn't participate then we will participate at home. I know the event will be taking place from around noon to 3 in the afternoon and I'm afraid that Doodle will be searching out of the windows up at the sky while on the bus. And I don't want someone feeling that they did damage to my child on their watch. And Doodle normally comes home around that time cause her school let's out earlier then regular public schools here. There is a chance that she will be looking up at the sky's when she walks out to the bus, when she gets on the bus and when she gets off the bus.

Call me a control freak all you want but I want to make sure that my child and her vision is safe. She will get her play time in the morning and her science during the day. We might even make it a movie day and watch some Alvin and the chipmunks. It's family time opportunity and I'm not going to be the only parent that will be participating in this event.

But if it is to be a rainy day that day, Doodle will be attending school. If not and it's nice and sunny then we are spending time at home.

Update: Cause yeah, it's Monday night and I forgot to post the blog cause it's been a busy day.

Doodle did stay home. And because routine of going to school was not a part of her routine today, it's not been a fun day. We did go walking this morning and Doodle got to play on the play ground at the park. That was probably the highlight of her day, I mean besides the iPad. We did get in an Alvin and the Chipmunks movie before the event and some Sponge Bob after the event.

About lunchtime she was not about to leave her iPad and was not having any part of the eclipse. She was upset. I made eclipse boxes so that we could safely watch with no issues because I was not about to buy a pair of glasses you can only wear once. The boxes worked great. She wanted to look up to the sky and I wouldn't let her. So that made her upset. She did look in the box, maybe three times. It didn't hold her attention and that's no surprise. Her patience for being outside and enjoying a special event didn't last long. She's been pretty whiny all day and she managed to play so hard in the tub she hit her head. All I know is it sounded like she was beating on the wall with her fist. I went to go check on her and she said she hit her head but kept showing me her thumb. So I have no clue as to what was going on.

She did manage to finally go to sleep 15 minutes after I gave her, her melatonin pill. So for about 2 hours I had a bit of mom time to myself without screaming and crying and whining. So there was that. And then came the realization that oops, I forgot to post the blog today. Yeah, that would be my luck. Hey, with Doodle out of school it's really hard to keep up with my days. Of course today was a day of rushing. After we got home, I had two loads of laundry waiting on me to get done. Dishes that had to be washed and of course I had boxes in the car that I need to create to watch the eclipse.

Truth be told I knew Doodle wouldn't want to see the eclipse. We watched it on T.V. and of course had it outside. There was a little bit of hope that she might try to watch it in the box. But nope, that didn't go over well.

Oh and I can't forget about the little 2 year old at the park that was stalking Doodle. Now that was creepy. Doodle went to swing on the swings by herself. I was walking around the playground and on one of the turns found a little girl just standing there staring at Doodle. Now this little girl had followed Doodle everywhere she went through the park. And she had the weird look on her face. Like, there's something not right about that kid (referring to Doodle). I'm used to these looks. I'm actually kind of tired of these looks. I said nothing but you know what. I should have said something. I should have gotten down to the little girls level and told her. Yeah, she seems different. Only because she sees the world differently then you and I see the world. Autism awareness happens once a year. But it shouldn't. We should be making people aware every single day. That's the only way that we can get kids, even young kids to be more accepting of children like Doodle.

Today, though it's not the best day for her or myself. It's a lesson that I have learned. One of many that Doodle and living in her world has taught me.

See you guys on the flip side.

It kind of surprised me to look through the hole and see the clouds. Like I was looking at the sky directly.

More clouds on the white strip.

The only image of the sun. That little speck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment