Thursday, August 10, 2017

First day of school, Autism

So Tuesday was our first day of school where we live. And it was a pretty good day. Her teacher did inform me at meet the teacher day, they were still looking for a para educator for the classroom. I'm not going to sweat this part. Yes, it's important for her teacher to have a para educator for the classroom because it's a school filled with special needs children. It will just take some time to find one. I can almost guarantee by the time the next open house at school begins there will be a para in the room.

So far Doodle has been in school for two days. The first day when she got home she was moody. And not in a good way. But my goal was to keep her awake for as long as I could so that she wouldn't come home and take a nap. So the afternoon was filled with activities. We waited at home for a bit, had dinner and went into Michaels craft store. Our kids instructor was having a bling up class. And that is a class I wanted Doodle to do. We shopped around the store for a bit to find things that she could put shiny letters and jewels on her pencil box and a slap bracelet that I bought her.

By the time the class started she was becoming very tired. And it only took an hour for Doodle, my mother and myself to do our projects and by the time we were finished, Doodle was ready for bed. When we got home she took her bath and with only one melatonin pill and she was out in less then 5 minutes. So my plan had worked. Momma got time to herself which is rare since school let out last school year.

As for the second day she wasn't moody, which was good. She was well behaved when I picked her up from school. We had a family function that we had to attend and I was afraid given how late it would be that I would not be home in time to pick her up from the bus. She showed appropriate behavior and whispered during that quiet time. She did get bored and lit her shoes up but she had no issues. It used to be during events like this during quiet time Doodle would scream out, "She's dead??!!" Or she would lay on a couch and pretend to be dead by closing her eyes and sticking out her tongue. So yeah, my form of autism can be pretty embarrassing and comical.

It was the first time that she has been so well behaved. But I know that since she is now getting up at 6:00 am she still needs plenty of sleep and now that school is back in school she's back on a regular sleep schedule. Which is harder then it appears. But if you work hard at it, you can get your child on the spectrum into a sleep schedule too. But that's more of another blog. I think I might have talked about it in a previous blog but it might have been a long time ago.

So how is Doodle doing now? So far she's been asleep since after 8 pm and it's now 9:08 and I can type in peace and quiet. I've gotten so much done in the past two days that I am really happy. I'm happy that tomorrow I might be walking around the park with my friend Stacey. If the weather permits. If not the weather will be perfect for me to make some soap. And I need to have a stock pile just like right now I have a stock pile of painting medium that I worked on yesterday and today.

It's only this month that I am trying to catch up on everything. Considering that I am only one person and an autism mom to boot, I can barely pay a friend to help me catch up. Even when I was doing that I still didn't have time to get back to the blog. But only because I was working on art in resin and getting my qualifications to teach watercolor. That's why I haven't been writing the blog. Because of work and keeping up with the trends. And now that I am rambling it's time to call it a night. Actually, I'm going to proofread this as the thunder rumbles outside and get this ready to post in the morning.

See you guys on the flip side.



No comments:

Post a Comment