Friday, August 11, 2017

Besties keep you sane, Autism

Well, that was awkward. Today I posted the blog and well yesterday was the day for the blog. Which means I'm a day behind. I'm sure some of you guys noticed that I missed a day. And you might be thinking she is going to skip Friday's blog. Nope. This is going to be Friday's blog. And it's all about the besties.

Look, finding true friends is really hard to come by when you have a child on the spectrum. And I will admit I hit the lottery with the friends that I have. I was lucky enough to find two people that are just as witty as I am. I'm a huge jokester. My co-workers will vouch for that one. And it's all by total accident! Last year the new girl got a dose of me, she was never expecting. And all I was doing was trying to get my work turned in. She stopped the manager and they got into a conversation. The new girl was backing up and I just happened to say, "Watch out for that snake". Because she was backing up on a fake snake. New girl took off running, screaming and climbed the manager like a ladder. It was glorious to see and I had no clue of her fears!!!

Most of the times I just walk up on co-workers and they never hear me come up so they do end up shocked and frightened when they look up and see me just standing there just staring at them. I love my co-workers and working retail can be so stressful, but just like autism it doesn't have to be stressful! I also love my life and it really reflects in my work. But it's the friends that make me who I am. And I happen to have two besties.

One I met three years ago and we became best friends two years ago. When she's down I'm there to pick her up and vice versa. She's the one that makes being a mom fun. Our kids "play" together, because let's face it Doodle doesn't really play. So this is what it's like to have play dates and mom times. This is what it feels like to be apart of the "mom group".

My other bestie and the best guy friend a girl could have. We go shopping together. Prank each other. And just have fun time together. He was by my side when I got married and he was there when Doodle was born. Messing with him is so much fun and he lives walking distance from me, but I wouldn't have it any other way. He's actually Doodle's Godfather so that should tell you that he's been in my life for a very long time. We do dinners together. Laugh together. And discuss business together. Doodle adores him so much and I'm so blessed that he gets to see her grow up and progress so much. Jason helped to push Doodle to be a better behaved autism child.

So why is it important to have best friends that are always there for you? Because you need someone to laugh with. Someone who will help you while you are out in public that will be the extra eyes for your child. They will be there for you to keep you normal. And the reason I'm not putting that you you vent to them. That's a dangerous thing to do with friends. If you start griping and venting too much you can actually run your friends away. You become a "Debbie downer" and no one wants to hang with people that have nothing but problems and woes. Laugh more, laugh often and laugh when others are looking.

Just because you have a child on the spectrum doesn't mean that you can't be there for your friends. Always try to be that friend that will be there because your friends are there for you. Make time for your friendships. Our lives can be stressful enough so reset with a good time for yourself and your friends. If your kids are in school and your friends work just schedule that time the best that you can even if it's on the weekends or during the week days. Find that time. It's important and I just can't stress that enough.

Jason works during the day and is free at night. Stacey, well she's an instructor like me at Michaels so we almost always have the same schedule. But she does work the floor so most of the time she's working while I'm instructing. That's why if you read Monday's blog you will notice that she's the one that I do Monday morning coffee with during the school week. She and I are the Chick-fil-a squad! And it's only Mondays that we do that, cause yes, she's busy and I'm busy. This is the day that we both agreed was the best day for both of us and we both do look forward to Monday mornings. It's weird I know but we are those Monday peoples. Keep yourself and mentally happy and your child will sense your good feelings as well.

You guys have a fabulous day and I will see you guys on Monday!

Doodle at her first concert! TobyMac!! With her Godfather and myself.

Stacey and I at Special Olympics, cheering Doodle on!

No comments:

Post a Comment