Friday, November 20, 2015

Worst iep ever Autism

So as I told you guys on Wednesday I had an IEP meeting yesterday on Thursday. I won the iep but it was at a cost. Keep reading to find out what all happened. It's a long one. As you, who are following the blog knows Doodle has regressed. And it's not a good regression but we all know any regression is not a good regression. But yesterdays meeting left me with so many feelings I didn't know what to do. I was in emotional over load! I think shock out weighed it all yesterday. By the time I left the teacher was in tears. By the time I got to my car I was in tears. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around everything.

At this point in Doodle's regression she's shut down. No one at that school can get her to do anything. Not a single thing at all! We all know where the regression has come from at this point but can it be stopped is a whole other ball game. I really need my miracle workers. They would be the ones that could stop it and bring her out of it because they've done it before.

So here's what went down. The principal was at the meeting only because last week I flipped my wig and sent a message to her after we got back from seeing Doodle's pediatrician. I'm not a happy camper with the work that Doodle is doing in school. The math is not up to par. The comprehension sheets are too advanced for her level. Let's face it until Doodle is taught to comprehend what she reads and I'm taught how to help her with it, she's pretty much at a loss. She learns differently then we do. All kids on the spectrum do. They can't be taught at regular education standards. That's why they have to be taught at different levels and differently then regular education students.

Look I'm going to say this. I'm not a happy camper with my child regressing so badly that she has to have her own para educator. Doodle should be independent because she's always been independent. But now Doodle is eloping. That's what it's called when a child on the spectrum wanders away. She just makes a break for and she's gone! And she only does this at school. Not at home, not while we are out and about together. The first hour and a half was spent listening to how far Doodle has regressed. It was like listening to therapists, teacher assistants and the teacher carve out my heard and starting to stomp it into mush. I will admit I was starting to shut down at this point. I was in a horror movie and couldn't control the plot line.

Tuesday the school sent home progress reports. Doodle didn't get hers and she's not the only student in class to not receive one. When the principal heard that she was not a happy camper either. I wanted to know where the spelling words were that were suppose to come home. The principal wanted to know if Doodle was being tested on spelling words. When I asked about spelling words the teacher gave me this look of why? I simply explained it's always been the way that when a child even Doodle gets spelling and gets tested on it they need to be able to work on them at home to re-enforce memory for the words.

The principal and I were in agreement that Doodle needed to be removed from the class for art because she excels in art. So the principal was trying to set it up in front of me and she asked for Doodle's schedule. It wasn't in the school computer system and the teacher had to leave to get one. She never did bring back Doodle's schedule, she brought back Doodle's new para's schedule.

Doodle's federal file was not on school premises. When I say federal file, I mean her school file that shows her work, that shows the progress, that shows behavior, the notes, everything! It all has to be documented and it has to stay at the school because that's where the iep's are kept. The iep which is a binding corner to corner contract. THAT IS NOT TO LEAVE THE SCHOOL AT ALL!

And the only work the teacher could produce for Doodle was just the work she's been trying to teach Doodle this week. And yes the papers had been balled up and ripped. Some where ripped into many pieces. That shows me right there how frustrated Doodle is. And that's not even the worst part. When the teacher said she was teaching Doodle on second grade level (there went that knife to the heart again) I wanted to just lose it. The last time she was on second grade level she was in the second grade. She's in the 4th grade now. I also informed everyone at the meeting that she's slid into palmer grasp. Palmer grasp is the way that a toddler holds a pencil or crayon in their fist and writes or colors with it that way. Not the way that a normal child is taught how to hold and write with a pencil, pen, crayon or marker. For me palmer grasp is another sign at home of a regression. It's the small ques that can't be overlooked. And how I've noticed that her hearing sensory has gotten worse. That everything is much louder to her now especially when walking into the school from the parking lot and the buses are parked in the drop off area.

Doodle is not a stupid child. She's very smart. So smart she tests higher then half the school. That's how intelligent she is. And this is all thanks to my miracle workers. They got her to that level. They saw potential in her even when I couldn't. So there was no science work to show, no social studies, no spelling. Only reading comprehension and math. Our pediatrician had recommended that I buy some work books and get Doodle back on task at home and I showed them all at the meeting that she was capable of doing the work. Though it was only a math book and thinking projects book I had purchased at the time. I now have a reading comprehension book but I got that after the meeting yesterday.

I've fought hard for Doodle and was able to slack off while Doodle was with her miracle workers. It was by their grace they taught me so much. How to work with her, what my rights were, what I need to be looking for in work and other progress. When it came to really learning about my roll as Doodle's mom they taught me a lot. And I can't forget one of my best friends who taught me even more about iep's and the way they are to be handled. She taught me about my poker face and expectations and how to turn an iep meeting around. She taught me how to stand my ground and not take no for an answer.

There was so much that went down in that meeting it's really hard to say it all and remember it all. To say I was horrified is an understatement. The principal took full responsibility. She sent everyone out but myself and the teacher. Doodle's teacher tried to say there were grades in the system and the principal shut her down. That's when the vice principal showed up and I saw first hand there was not a single grade for Doodle in the computer system. And that's when the teacher tried to blame Doodle's teacher from last year. I see what see did there. Doesn't want to take responsibility for her actions and what she's done wrong. When I left the meeting the vice principal was left with the teacher. And the principal walked me out.

This morning I found out that one of the students in Doodle's class his mom works in the office and the teacher went after her. Asking if she thought that her child wasn't being taught by her either. She informed me she told her flat out the progress that her child was having prior to him being placed in the school has stopped and he has regressed as well. And no she didn't think she was teaching her. We both noted there are no grades for our children. No progress reports to go by. Both of our children have been in therapy for a long time and every single day we took them to therapy we always got progress reports on how they were functioning and where they were going to go from there.

So for anyone who thinks that a regression can't be figured out is in the wrong field. It can be figured out and when it does you can bet someone is going to end up getting fired. I sent Doodle to school today and my biggest worry (yes, I know, I'm not suppose to worry) is that the teacher may retaliate against Doodle. I will know when she comes home if that has happened. She can't tell me but her actions speak louder then words. I did bring this up to the principal and she assured me that Doodle is going to be safe at school today. Doodle's teacher has been reported to her supervisors and if things don't change in a very short amount of time a new teacher is being brought in.

And the only reason I sent Doodle to school was because back where we used to live I got a lot of flack from my best friend when she and I discovered that the kids on the bus were being verbally assaulted on the school bus by the bus driver. I called Doodle's school and the transportation department. So did my best friend. Our children acted different getting on the bus and when it was time to come home and they got off the bus. My best friends' son would try to tip his wheel chair over while on the ramp to get to his Momma. Doodle cried and screamed and it took hours to get her calmed down. Now this is when Doodle was with the miracle workers. So getting homework done was a challenge because of this bus driver. Which is why strict routine is so important. I pulled Doodle from riding the bus. I informed transportation that I was refusing to allow my child to be on the bus while this guy was the driver. My friend did not pull her son. I drove Doodle every morning and afternoon. I told the bus driver that I was working in another city and it was just easier for me to get her and get back to work. Yes it was a partial lie. 2 days a week I worked in several cities and it was easier then trying to make sure that I made it back to the bus stop in time. The rest of the week I worked from home.

So you can see this was my first leveling up (leveling up is in the iep world how well you get results) as I was stopped while walking to get Doodle at school by the previous bus driver that he wanted me to meet the new bus driver. The guy that was taking his place because he was "retiring". I liked the new bus driver. He treated all the kids like they were his own. Super great guy. Doodle and her friend improved once routine was back to normal and they weren't being verbally assaulted by a bus driver anymore.

And then there was last years incident at the school Doodle currently attends. You can read that in the blog post called wrong things said. That was a nightmare but I will fight for my child and I will not have anyone speak down to me. I've dealt with Doodle and her autism for 9 years. The only thing I will change is the way I teach her. I've trained a lot with her miracle workers and know how to properly correct her in every avenue, which is why there is not much of a regression at home. But she's not progressing forward at home either.

Stay vigilant. Stay strong. If you see behavior changing at home call an iep meeting. If you think somethings not right about homework, call an iep meeting. Get all involved from the principal to your teachers supervisor. Take control and get your child back on track. Though it's only the 4th month Doodle's been in school we are still catching it early. Things are going to change and Doodle is going to be getting back on track. If not my advocate is still pretty much aware of what all is going on right now. So all it takes is a simple let's roll.

You guys have a great day.

Courageous - Casting Crowns




No comments:

Post a Comment