Friday, August 21, 2015

It's all in the scheduling, Autism

Yeah, another blog post about scheduling. Enough with it already. Well, this isn't that kind of scheduling. What have I already scheduled? I've scheduled the first iep reminder on my computer, using Google calendar. What does that mean? It's the time clock that every teacher dreads. The parent who knows they have absolute control and the schools hands are tied. The school can't make me conform and they can't slack with Doodle and her education.

I'm raising a doctor, it's been Doodle's dream since she was 3 years old. I can't let that dream go to waste. So until my child becomes a doctor I have to work extra hard to get her there. I will push any teacher to go above and beyond to make Doodle's dreams a reality. And why not? Doodle had a teacher 2 years ago that could run circles around me in her sleep and Doodle progressed in a way that I never thought possible. I learned a lot from that teacher and still keep in contact with her to this day!

And seriously, why can't Doodle be a doctor just because she has autism? We have Doctor Temple Grandin, so I know people on the spectrum can become doctors. There is no question in my mind.

It's the love of my child to succeed that draws me to be the best that I can possibly be. I am her first role model. I was her first word before she lost the speech. And yeah it may sound weird but Doodle said mama at 5 months of age. And a few short hours later said dada. She repeated these words for an entire month. Once she turned 6 months old speech was gone. She was back to baby gibberish. And everyone that I spoke with in the family said don't worry they lose speech right before they start walking and it will come back. It never came back. It didn't come back until she was 6 years old and that was because of her fantastic teacher.

So I will push a teacher to be the best with my child. I have fired a para who stood in the way. I'm not afraid. If anything the school is more afraid of the parent who has the knowledge and the backing of advocates and support groups to get things taken care of.

One of the things that I do find so interesting is at a meeting I attended last week was a woman who substituted for the school in question and saw Doodle a lot last year. She told me that the para in question who had a lapse in judgement, she had said that the woman had a mean vibe to her. Something she couldn't put her finger on and something she didn't like about her.

I really didn't expect to get her fired but I was hot under the collar for her telling me to fix what was going on in the classroom. Uh, hello! It's the para, she is to work with her team and that's the teacher and the therapists. Not come demand the parents handle the situations. And especially, tell me that I needed to medicate my child. She can't do that. There are a lot of things a para can not say to a parent and medicate is one of them. If you know how to handle a child on the spectrum it's not an issue.

So my time line is set. Schedule when the first letter goes out to the school and start tracking the teacher's progress and Doodle's progress. And then when the school starts doing their job they won't have to hear, "Don't make me come down there." Because I will come in with narrowed eyes, a smile on my face and my head held high. I know where I stand and I know what I won't put up with.

I'm para level fired. My best friend over the summer graduated to Principal level fired. So yeah, there are levels in our special needs community as the type of parents we are. Your either the one that submits or your the one where the school says, "Oh, $#*@!" the moment you walk in the doors. I'm the latter because I have grown a fondness to making examples of others. If I can do this and her teacher 2 years ago can do this with her eyes closed. The new ones can do this.

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment