Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Isolation and Autism

So the hot topic of conversation in my Autism support group is the feeling of isolation that we normally feel. Because "our children" can't behave in public and when you have more then one on the spectrum it can be a bit daunting. Oh who am I kidding. If I had two children on the spectrum I'd probably lose it. Having just one child on the spectrum is hard enough to deal with on most days.

Yes, I am a business owner and yes I have a child on the spectrum. I wasn't able to get her into summer school so she's home for the entire two months. And lets face it, she doesn't want to listen this week at all. Unless we are at her favorite ice cream shop. It's only then that she will listen and follow directions. But I can't live at the ice cream shop. Believe me I would love too.

Most parents have pretty much embraced being isolated. Me, well... I work for myself. So if I can get work done while I'm at home I'm happy. That's all that matters to me. But I know how important it is for Doodle to play and interact with children her own age or close to her own age. That's why I always make sure that we have play dates. It's a great opportunity for Doodle to learn how to play with regular children and even with special ed children.

I always keep Doodle at arms length to me so that I can make sure that she doesn't hurt another child when we are out in public. And yes I continue to remind her that we need to share and take turns. She's almost got that down pact.

Do I like feeling isolated? Yes and no. Yes when I am working because the work just doesn't do it itself and of course no because I have a responsibility to teach Doodle every moment that I can.
I don't want to live regretting that I have a child on the spectrum. She's in there somewhere and on occasion she will peak out.

So yes this life can be a double edged sword but I'm a bit of a person that keeps to myself and don't really care to interact with people much. Hence the reason why my business is an online business. I'm pretty easy going and will go out of my way to help anyone out that needs it. But the days I can just veg out and keep to myself and let Doodle be on her own in the comfort of our home is well worth it to me.

And on a side note I have finished Doodle's sensory swing and she is loving it. And like I have mentioned before I will be creating two sensory swings. So life is just a big ball of sewing fun. Yay. And yes the tutorials are coming it just takes some time.

Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment