Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Child left in car, Autism

So in the news is another parent that left their child in the car all day while they were at work. I see this happening all over the news every single day just about. Some of the comments really do make you think. "How can a parent leave their child in the car? Are we really so material that we won't forget our iphone but we forget about our children?"

And that last comment drives home the nail on an ad that I just created for my company. But it wasn't kids left in cars that I saw in the ad it was the printed book. As some of you may already know I'm a publisher. I create ebooks. And though I won't forget the ipad that Doodle has to have to keep her from meltdowns I don't carry a phone. If anyone wants to reach me they can wait until I get back home. My time is valuable and that includes the time I spend with Doodle.

I feel awful for the parents and their loss. But I can't for the life of me wrap my head around how a parent can forget their child in the car. When I had Doodle, I was excited and scared. What parent isn't scared. I didn't go anywhere without her. I took her everywhere with me. I hated having to lug the pumpkin seat around when she was itty bitty and would carry her in my arms instead of carrying that horrible infant car seat. She was never a day care kid.

Now Doodle has been locked in a vehicle before after she was diagnosed with autism. Her father locked the keys in the car along with her in the grocery store parking lot. He stayed by the car while I ran inside to get them to call the Sheriff's office to help get her out of the car. And once I did that I ran right back out to the car to stay as close to her as I possibly could. Yeah, he never heard the end of that one. Doodle had a grand old time watching the fire department fellows try to get her to open the door. She would lean forward like she was going to grab the inside handle and throw herself back into her car seat laughing the entire time.

They realized pretty quick she was of no help in helping herself. She was the star of the show that afternoon. The sheriff's office finally got the lock popped and I was able to get Doodle back in my arms. That was the only time Doodle was left in a car and I stayed right by her side as long as I could. I have never needed a cell phone or my purse in the back seat to know that my child was in the car. Like I said, she goes everywhere with me. And even now it's the same. Even the days she's throwing a fit and refusing to get out of the car. She comes in the store with me kicking and screaming.

Even when Doodle was in early intervention and went to school when she was 3 years old. When I would go somewhere I would always go to the back of the car to get her out only to realize, oh she's not with me she's at school. And still now, I will sometimes check the back of the minivan even when she's at school. I don't go anywhere without her.

Doodle and I don't share the same passions. We both love to draw, though mine is in photoshop and her's is with crayons and paper. I love Books a Million. She hates it. Though, I know why. It's the lighting. It's too dim in the stores and her sight sensory can't handle it. So those trips to BAM are roughly 10 minutes, in and out.

Doodle is my responsibility. It's my job to keep her safe until she turns 18. And yes, I'm hoping and praying she is like Temple Grandin. That she will be able to live and function like a normal adult. Well, as normal as can be given her autism. She wants to be a doctor and well Temple has already shown us that this is a possibility. So I'm going to do my job with pride and not forget about her. How can I forget about someone that has shaped and change my life so much. And on that note, I'm reminded that it's The Lord's time. As I write this blog the night before it is to post. Because I will not forget or be too distracted to post another blog.

You guys have a great day!




No comments:

Post a Comment