Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Emergency IEP Autism

Last week I didn't have a blog and I almost debating not doing one this week. But this one is going to be super short as I am exhausted.

Lots of changes are taking place in our lives and as you know anything that sets off a bad routine is not a good thing. At work I am dealing with a new manager, but I'm familiar with this manager already so that's not so bad, but I now have a new coordinator through my sponsor.

Saturday's event which is what I was looking forward to the most to bring my numbers back up, that didn't go so hot and a kid puked in my face. That was a big ol' NOPE!

But on to Doodle. When a child on the spectrum begins to lose speech and sleep you know you are on the regression train and you need to get it to stop ASAP. She's lost speech. A name she knows by heart she can no longer say. And this is the one that breaks my heart the most. She can no longer say Jesus. This is a word that she says daily and she knew the name very well. Now she can't pronounce it correctly.

For the past two weeks she's been losing sleep. No matter how much melatonin she takes it's not helping and I'm not gonna bump up the dosage. Melatonin only helps a child go to sleep. It doesn't help them stay awake. Not even the time release melatonin helps with keeping them asleep.

Her bus is now picking up super early. 45 minutes earlier then normal and that's because we have new students and a student switch. So when the bus picks up the moon is still out and it's dark. Like really dark.

So this morning at 5:55 am I sent in via email request to her homeroom teacher that we needed to have an IEP meeting. I know why we are regressing. Same reason Doodle regressed so badly several years ago. She's not being challenged. And at this point I blame the State that we live in. As per our state anyone that's disabled has to be taught at lower functioning levels. Doodle will not do well in a regular school system. And I know the teachers are following guidelines placed by the State. Well, not every child with a disability is the exact same as another child with a disability. Just like the saying you meet one child with autism, you've met one child with autism. They can't all be lumped into the same category as they are all different. And I know this is something I'm going to have to work on to change but not until I'm back up to par.

As of right now I feel as if every day I'm being drug around by a pack of goats. I'm beyond exhausted. But once we get this squared away I will be getting my energy and strength back.

Great news is I'm still number one in district for our store but it's nothing I can celebrate as a regression makes me feel like I've got a tons of bricks falling on my head. The magazine is behind and I'm trying to become the next Michaels maker. So there's a lot to juggle.

See you guys on the flip side.


No comments:

Post a Comment