Wednesday, September 9, 2015

School says what, Autism

So Wednesday has snuck up on me again. Boy the weeks are just going by so fast here within the past couple of weeks. Where is the time going? Before I know it Doodle will be graduating from school and heading off to college to become a doctor. and no don't tell me my daughter can't do something when I know that if she puts her mind to it she can. None of that negative talk around here.

So yesterday was the first day back at school for the kids after the Labor Day Holiday. What did I get for that lovely day? A call from the school to come pick up Doodle, that she was uncontrollable. And no matter what they tried to do she couldn't be settled down. Well, that was weird because when I went to drop her off yesterday morning she was fine. Just being a bit defiant but nothing more. She really didn't want to be at school that morning, but that's not unusual coming back from a three day weekend.

I got up to the school to see the school nurse and guess what, no Doodle waiting in the nurses office for me. Well, there's red flag number two. The nurse asked me to sign in, gave me a visitors pass and sent me off to the cafeteria to get Doodle and take her home.

By the time I got to the cafeteria, Doodle was quietly sitting at the table eating her breakfast. So I sat down right beside her and watched her eat everything that she had on her plate. The child will eat like she's not fed at home while she's at school but once she gets home, she's a picky eater. Go figure. She got up and threw away her trash and sat back down in her spot. Something just wasn't right about the whole thing.

I guess it took awhile for the para educators to notice me because after Doodle had sat back down was when they got up to insist that the other kids in the class started eating their breakfast. I don't have to make my appearance know. Observations of my surrounding will tell me more then what I can find out by asking questions or just grabbing Doodle and going.

When it came time to leave I followed to class, where it was then I discovered the teacher was not there today, there was no substitute but there where two para educators trying to do the work of several people. What they missed was Doodle getting spit on, one kid slapping other students and Doodle becoming so frustrated that she started picking her skin causing her knee to bleed.

What I noticed out of the whole 20 minutes of being at the school, the day was going to end up being a disaster for Doodle. At one point she left circle time and went to lay down on a bean bag chair. It was about that time I figured I had had enough. After seeing your child getting spit on and slapped you pretty much know it's just time to take them home because these poor ladies had enough on their plates to deal with and I will just deal with Doodle until Wednesday. At least she won't be hurting herself and no one will be hurting her. But it also teaches the bad habit that if you misbehave at school you can go home. And she will never learn anything. That's not what I'm trying to do here but with such a hectic day this class was having, it wouldn't have been good to let Doodle get lost in the day or "system" as you will either.

After that it was pretty much just a down hill kind of day that left me drained. I was so glad when yesterday was done and over with. So today, here I am working on trying to figure out ways for Doodle to be taught in school without the school having the Edmark program. If you are not familiar with Edmark it's a program that helps children with learning disabilities to read, write and do math, where as other school curriculum will even scratch the surface for a child.

The first step will be with (FAPE) Free and Appropriate Public Education. This falls under the IEP. If this is not where I will get what needs to be gotten I will dig elsewhere in my rights to find it. That and I'm trying to line up a meeting with my school of choice. Hopefully, that will push the school into letting her attend by next year.

You guys day!



No comments:

Post a Comment