Monday, March 14, 2016

Go big or go home Autism

I think I've already done a go big or go home post. I can't remember. It's one of my all time favorite sayings because that's the way I do my life. Doodle is going to do something and I will push her to get that speech and I will get her to do that OT. Her teacher used to always go big when it came to submitting Doodle's work for art competitions. And now it's my turn.

At Doodles' school they are having a family writing event. To show the importance of love and togetherness through everyone's writing abilities. First off, never ask a writer, publisher or artist to submit work for these types of events. Because you know there will be parents who get their feelings hurt as another parent takes the cake. No surprise I'm the parent that went all out. Of course it doesn't hurt for where I work part time and it being Michaels craft store.

Here's the deal. The kids had to write a piece for this event. It was suppose to be during school with the teachers help. But the teacher asked me to do this. Not a problem. And yes I cheated. I went to shelsilverstein.com they have tons of kits to help teachers and parents to allow their kids to learn all about poetry. I took about 2 hours going through all the kits to find something that Doodle would be able to do. And I found it. It was really easy, all she had to do was just put in the words at the end that described herself. Okay, that was easier said then done. That took at least 30 minutes just to get Doodle to figure out what to even say about herself. Scientist popped up a lot. After I filled in what she said about herself, the next day she wrote it out. I of course used my work ruler to draw the lines and all she had to do was just copy what was on the paper.

I wanted her to try to write with at least ink on bristol board but that wasn't going to happen. So I opted for regular drawing paper that I use when I teach drawing in my classes. It's a sturdy paper so it's not going to have a problem with getting ripped when send to school.

Sunday morning I finished my artwork on my poem about Doodle. And this morning I laminated it myself. I used contact paper because yes I used bristol paper on my piece for this event. I had an option of writing a letter to my child but that wouldn't get me BIG. Remember, I'm the go big or go home mom. So I combined all the elements where I can use this piece in all of my classes to show case what we have to offer. Which would be drawing, painting, and two types of calligraphy.

And what would an autism post be about if something isn't getting wrecked? Not my art piece that's for sure, but the ipad will never be the same. As long as it won't cost me an arm and a leg to have it fixed I will be fine with saving up for this to get fixed. But Doodle and I have a concert to go this weekend and I have shirts to buy for the upcoming Special Olympics meet next month on my birthday. I will tell you in advance, you will not be hearing from me that Friday in April.

Hope you guys have a great day, as of right now I am typing this and dodging paint splatters coming over the tri-fold. Doodle has a Science Fair project due next week, so that's what she is working on right now. She's not the form of autism that she can do a proper science fair project but they are letting her at least enter with what she does know and that's the solar system. More on that in a later blog post.

The sketching phase after the ink went down for the calligraphy.

I used gouache to paint everything on the bristol board.

The easiest form of lamination for such a large project. Contact paper. Does a fabulous job every time.

And this is what the ipad looks like now.




No comments:

Post a Comment