Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Mental breaks Autism

There were many different things I could have spoken about today. But I will discuss why there was no post yesterday. In order to function as parents of children on the spectrum it's important to take time for yourself. I've discussed this in previous posts because it's one of the most important things for your sanity.

Look as parents we take on a lot and have to do a lot. There is no way around that. You are either an overachiever who is burning out quick or you are a parent who is already burnt out and have a lot on your plate that just keeps piling up.

So why was there no post yesterday? Because I was taking a much needed mental break. My best friend and I headed to the movies to watch Bohemian Rhapsody, while Doodle was in school. I still had work last night and still had things to do before Doodle left for school this morning. But that mental break is what I needed.

Long before Doodle could speak she was singing Queen songs. That was also covered in a previous blog to celebrate Freddie for a Day. We didn't have traditional speech but we did have words in song. And for that I am truly grateful.

I can't stress enough how important it is for a parent of a child with a disability to take mental breaks. It's also one of the things that I stress about the most at work. You can't be productive if you can't have a break. You can't do anything properly for yourself, your job or your child.

And though I have a child on the spectrum who has regressed and we are trying to get her back to the last good level of functioning, I can't help her if I can't think straight. She's finally sleeping through the night again. And I can get through the days without the burnt out feeling.

If you can't go see a movie at least get a mani pedi. You have to take care of you. That is the most important thing. Love yourself and you are able to love your life. Don't give up! You've got this.

See you on the flip side.


No comments:

Post a Comment